Thursday, August 25, 2016

Moosehead Tavern for RPG game


In the 1980s I did a lot of game illustrations for RPG games. I worked for a company called "Gamelords" (long since disappeared) who created a Renaissance-style world for the stories to play out in. The world was populated by the usual assortment of humanoids such as dwarves, elves, hobbits, and plenty of ordinary human beings of all classes. This scene is in a tavern where all species are welcome. Two dwarves and two men are eating at the table. The bar was called the "Moosehead Tavern" because of the mounted moose head. A portrait of the proprietor (standing behind the bar) is on the wall next to the moose head and a popular notion says that the proprietor resembles the moose. 

I liked using an old-fashioned pen and ink style for these game illustrations, though even then that look was not widely used. I'll still use it if I think it is appropriate.

Pen and ink on illustration board, 8" x 7", spring 1984.

No comments: