Saturday, December 3, 2011

Elizabethan Fan Portrait Miniatures



Jean and Geoffrey were a married couple when I knew them in the mid-80s. They lived in Berkeley, California and were active in Darkover and other fan circles. They came east to DarkoverCon and that's where I first met them. They asked me to do their nametag miniature portraits as Elizabethan noblemen who were Catholic holdouts, not willing to convert to the Anglican Church. Jean holds her prayerbook, and Geoffrey, titled "The Queen's Scholar," holds an open book of theology.

Jean and Geoff, like so many other couples I depicted, are no longer together. Jean, who is the daughter of a fairly well-known writer, became a writer herself. I have heard nothing from Geoff since the time of these miniature portraits.

Portraits are ink and watercolor on Fabriano paper, 2 1/4" x 3 1/2", January 1986.

1 comment:

Tristan Alexander said...

Both well done. They have a very nice period feel to them.