Thursday, December 22, 2011

I can Draw a Dragon's Head



I worked on drawing people until my figure drawings achieved mediocrity rather than wretchedness, and I'm still working on making them better. I intend to do the same with dragons and other fantasy creatures. I have a whole stack of books on "How To Draw Dragons." I learn the old fashioned way, methodically copying and analyzing how dragons are created. Unlike with people, I'm not going to get a live model here. Iguanas made large just aren't dragonish enough, though some Earth reptiles can serve as partial dragon inspiration. This is my first attempt, copied in regular old pencil with some adaptation from an example in "DragonArt: How to draw Dragons and Fantasy Creatures" by Jessica Peffer. The Pern dragons that I did 30 years ago don't count. They looked like stuffed plush animal toys. I want the (un)real thing now.

2 comments:

Jeff Lafferty said...

Looks like a good start :)
Jeff

Mike (Altus) said...

I like it. More dragons. :)