Friday, September 7, 2012

Mexican Menu Chac the Rain God


"Chac" was (is?) the Mayan rain god. I copied this Mayan portrait of him from my resources and added the colors myself. I love the purplish blue and grey of storm clouds. But due to the fading of the film I don't know what my exact colors were back then, so this is a Photoshop approximation. The "torches" he holds in his hands are lightning bolts. I made up the "Mayanish" typeface myself.

I often evaluate color combinations by thinking about whether they would look good in a costume, especially a superhero costume. I think Chac's greys and blues and purples would make a nice costume combination. But traditional comic book printing was never able to handle grey, which is why Batman's costume looked purple and blue rather than its "real" grey and black. Nowadays comic book printing is much more sophisticated but you still rarely see costumed characters in grey. 

Markers on posterboard, 21" x 13", winter 1980.

1 comment:

Tristan Alexander said...

Again, you should do some serious art in this style. I realy like the way you do Aztec stuff.