Saturday, September 15, 2012

Panel from Page 43


This is what a panel of my ongoing graphic novel looks like before I add the color. This character is one of the geologists who are associated with the techno-wizard, as the volcano gets closer to erupting. I drew this on illustration board which is suitable for watercolor, and that's how I'll color it, directly painted on the board. But once this current chapter section is done, I'll switch over to digital coloring though I will continue to draw the original line art by hand using an old-fashioned dip pen and ink. If you know enough about working in Photoshop, you can use textures to color an ink drawing so that it doesn't look mechanically colorized. And with digital art not only is it not messy, you can change whatever you want. Don't worry, though, I will still do plenty of real watercolor, especially in my landscapes and depictions of buildings.

Ink on Fabriano illustration board, about 5" x 4", September 2012.

No comments: