Saturday, September 29, 2012

Salon Portrait


I got my hair done today, and as usual while I'm waiting for the hair dye to do its thing, I draw on sketchbook or iPad. Today one of the employees at the salon noticed the iPad and when I said that I can make art on it, she asked me to draw her portrait. This is the first time I have ever tried to do an iPad portrait (rather than a sketch or a caricature) of a real live person in front of me. Interestingly, working with opaque "brushstrokes" with a blender was more like working in pastel than in acrylic or colored pencil. I've never done any work with pastel so I was improvising, but it turned out a little better than I thought it would. It isn't great by any means but it's an attempt. If I wanted to I could probably make it more accurate and realistic in Photoshop. I want to do more faces, especially women, and depict people on the iPad, not just Virginia landscapes.

Art Studio, about 25 minutes, September 2012.

No comments: