Monday, October 1, 2012

Mexican Menu Acapulco High Dive


This was one theme I simply had to do to keep the Mexican theme going. The cliff divers of Acapulco are a big attraction there so I saved them for the Sunday brunch sign. Weekends were always big at Paco's Tacos and I worked the counter all Saturday afternoon. I am especially fond of this sign because I was able to make a blue sky fade to gold at the horizon using only markers which don't blend. If you look closely you can see that I colored the sky line by line using the sky blue marker and then blended it by superimposing into the lighter blue and then pale gold. The lettering wasn't superimposed, I colored around each letter. I used a spiffy Art Nouveau font. You can see the diver in the upper right corner. 

This sign contains a spelling mistake, something I would never allow nowadays. The dessert  was these deep-fried dough bits dusted in powdered sugar. They are called "sopapillas" or "sopaipillas" but I added an extra P. At the restaurant we called them "soapy pillows." No one but you and I will ever know that I misspelled a word on a sign.

Markers on posterboard, 21" x 13", winter 1980.

No comments: