Saturday, October 20, 2012

Mykonos Signs


Paco's Tacos was not the only place I worked for that winter in Harvard Square. "Mykonos" was a gift shop specializing in Greek arts and crafts. I did these two signs for them, advertising later hours. Each week, usually on Thursday, the shops of Harvard Square stayed open late and kept a mildly festive atmosphere. I used the icon image of St. George slaying the dragon for this one, including metallic gold marker for the background.


This one depicts the famous Vlacherna Monastery on the island of Corfu, Greece. It is situated on a tiny island just offshore. 
I don't remember how much I got paid for these signs, but one thing I received for my efforts was a Greek fisherman's hat which I wore for quite some time, before switching to a more artistic beret.

Markers on posterboard, 13" x 10", winter 1980. Much work done in Photoshop to restore these images.

No comments: