Sunday, August 9, 2015

Crushed Cellars


It was a splendid, sun-filled August "Wine Saturday" and our destination was "Crushed Cellars," in Purcellville, VA. Crushed (I love the name) is a small winery which I visited a few years ago when it was just starting. The vines in front of their quirky designer building were tiny when I last saw them but they are now quite robust. The wine was excellent, including a Cabernet Sauvignon which was full of color and flavor. I did my art while sitting with the Wine Team outside under the winery's porch. Crushed Cellars hosts a mob of brown chickens whose eggs are sold to the customers. The chickens come up onto the porch and accept bits of food from the wine-sippers.

I drew this scene and the chickens in pen but didn't have time to color it in on-site, due to chickens and wine drinking. My memory of the colors is accurate though so this drawing was completed in the studio.

"Crushed Cellars" is brown tech pen ink on sketchbook page, about 8" x 11", colored in Photoshop. I'll be enhancing the original drawing with my colored pencils later on, so you can see which coloring medium you like the best. August 8, 2015.

No comments: