Sunday, August 16, 2015

The Cat of August


You've seen many of my sketches of Popcorn the cat, over the years. Popcorn was my cousins' cat, and when their family went on summer vacation (usually a rented house on Cape Cod) they left their beast with me. Popcorn and I were not on the best of terms but he tolerated me and let me touch him now and then. He sat in the window and listened to the baseball game with me. The year I drew this, 1986, was the year that we really thought the Red Sox would win it all. It was also the year that I went to the World Science Fiction Convention in Atlanta, once the cat had been returned to his owners. Anyone who knows anything about the Red Sox knows that 1986 didn't turn out well, really not well at all, and we would have to wait until 2004, in the unthinkable new millennium, for the first baseman to finally catch that ball.

I'll be off on my August vacation for this week, no cats but probably plenty of food and wine. If I am up for serious gadgetizing I may post an entry here from my iPad but maybe I won't, depending on the level of wine and vacation vacancy.

Black tech pen on sketchbook page, about 5 1/2" x 8 1/2", August 25, 1986.

No comments: