Thursday, August 6, 2015

Rocky Shore of Gloucester


In New England a lot of the seashore is rocky and rugged, though there are plenty of sandy beaches for those who want them. Some of my favorite places to go are Rockport and Gloucester, (pronounced "Glosta") in northern Massachusetts. These rocks are in Gloucester and I fondly remember sitting on the rocky heights with my big boxes of "Stabilayout" markers doing this study of ocean and granite. There was a brief moment in my sketching history where I used these markers and other water-based markers to do my on-site sketches. Now as you know I use colored pencil which may not be as strong a color but is easy to tote around and maintain. Markers fade in normal light which is why this drawing and the others I did remain packed away in my stacks of notebooks. I haven't been to the seashore in ages, I'd like to go but the logistics are difficult.

Markers on sketchbook page, 10 1/2" x 7 1/2", August 7, 1987.

No comments: