Wednesday, December 26, 2018

20 Years Ago Christmas Dinner


I was a guest at one of my friends' Christmas festivities. It was a traditional dinner with tree, presents, and all the typical stuff. After dinner and gift giving in the afternoon, the family and I sat around in the living room with our reading material as the kids screamed and played with their new toys in the adjacent room. I will not show names but from left to right it is my friend who invited me, her husband, and her husband's sister who was (and is still) a Catholic Sister.

My friend gave me a wonderful gift. Both of us enjoy Catholic paraphernalia and religious objects; at one point she had a room full of her collection. I opened the gift box and found two small plastic statuettes of Jesus and Mary, which glowed in the dark. I love stuff which glows in the dark. The Sister, recognizing them and seeing my delight, leaned over and said with a smile, "These are most popular with the very young, and the very old." Twenty years later they are still with me at my bedside.

Black tech pen on sketchbook page, 8" x 6", December 25, 1998.

1 comment:

Rev. Sharon said...

That‘s a wonderful memory!! <3