Wednesday, December 5, 2018

20 Years Ago Construction Site


I go by this building every time I pass through Tysons Corner, the "edge city" where I live. It was just a grassy slope when I first moved here. Since then I've seen a whole district of high-rises and glass-faced office and residence buildings pop up. Now that the Metro stops here the rate of building is increasing. The idea is that you live in one of the expensive apartments in a 30-story hive and you take the Metro in to work as a consultant or lawyer in DC. Or you just walk from your hi-rise to your office in this building. If anyone thinks this will take more cars off the road in this area, they are mistaken. Soon after this one was done, they built another similar edifice behind it. I am just part of the Capitalist Progress that is transforming an old country crossroads into a Big City.

Black tech pen on sketchbook page, 8" x 4 1/2", November 18, 1998.

No comments: