Saturday, December 29, 2018

20 Years Ago Gazebo


At the end of 1998 I was on my way to visit family and friends up in Massachusetts. As usual I stopped off at a motel somewhere in New Jersey. This was a dreary place but it did have one moment of charm, namely this gazebo in the back of the building. (When I was young I used to pronounce it "gayze-bo.") There was a chain link fence around it and some straggly cedar trees. There was still some snow remaining on what would be a landscaped area. The green spot and gazebo were there to add a touch of class to wedding portraits, where the couple stood under the gazebo. I can't imagine why anyone would want to get married for real in this motel, but maybe it was all they could afford. I drew this sketch through the bathroom window.

Black tech pen on sketchbook page, 8" x 6", December 26, 1998.

No comments: