Friday, December 7, 2018

Cardinal Acquaviva 1978


Some of you remember a fantasy character of mine, a Roman Catholic cardinal named Acquaviva. The name means "Living Water" though anyone who sees that name thinks it has to do with "Aqua Velva," a men's aftershave cologne. I interacted with this character during my explorations of Catholic Christianity and I continued to maintain "contact" with him up to and including my formal conversion and baptism as a Catholic in 1979. Next year, 2019, will be the  40th anniversary of this event. Naturally the Cardinal was pleased to see me join the fold.

I did this little portrait of His Eminence in August 1978. At that point a new Pope had not yet been elected and Cardinal A. was waiting to go into Conclave to meet with his fellow prelates to vote. 

I parted ways with the Cardinal some years after my conversion. Sometimes I still "visit" him in his corner of the Imaginal World to see how he is doing. 

Black ink on sketchbook page, 4" x 5 1/2", August 1978.


No comments: