Saturday, December 22, 2018

20 years ago Studio and mini artificial tree


I just finished decorating the miniature tree you see in this drawing. This is my art studio in late 1998, as the dateline to upper right shows. Most of the things you see in this 1998 sketch are still here, although seasonal. I bought the tree in Cambridge, Mass. in the  late 80s and have displayed it ever since for most of the Holiday Seasons I've been here. That's thirty years of mini tree and I admit it is a bit ragged after all these years. I store it in a box with its ornaments 11 months out of the year. Other things on this studio view are four of my Zoroastrian paintings on the wall, sketchbooks, and a colored pencil caddy. There are some very old Christmas lights which I have since retired because I am afraid the wire will disintegrate and cause a fire. There is also an old radio/cassette player which I have since given away. The box on the right is an illuminator installed in the hope that its light will make me more efficient and cheerful in the dark winter months. That isn't in my collection any more; I gave it away and bought a smaller but still bright light which right now remains unused in its box because I have no room to put it. I have no room to put anything except the tree for a few weeks. In 20 years my dwelling has become mind-numbingly claustrophobia-inducing.

Black tech pen on sketchbook page, 8" x 6", December 20, 1998.

No comments: