Monday, December 17, 2018

20 Years Ago Plant Stand


I acquired this plant stand in 1984 and it has been in operation ever since, going through many plastic plant trays and countless plants. My most successful plants have been African violets and weedy hardy vines and ivy. At one point the structure was overrun with what is known as "Devil's Ivy," also known as "Pothos," a fast-growing ivy that tolerates dryness and neglect. 

I also grew many cacti and succulents on the stand. Generally plants that grow outside such as zinnias or geraniums don't do well here. You can see on the top level, under fluorescent lights, a profusion of pothos about to escape the stand to the left there, and a few African violets in bloom. Eventually I got rid of the pothos because it was getting too big and got fungus under the pot. My cacti are still there and after losing a couple of them outside due to neglect and harsh conditions, I need to put new lights in and replenish the indoor garden.

Black tech pen on sketchbook page, 8" x 6 1/2", December 9, 1998

1 comment:

Texchanchan said...

Man, I wish I had one of those plant stands, but now they cost like they were made of platinum. I had one once; no idea where it went, but I used to grow African violets in it.