Friday, February 12, 2010

Cygnus the Cosmic Swan




As I transcribe my way through my catalog of space pictures, I have now reached the time when I moved to the Washington, DC area. I had decided to move in early 1988 and finally did it in October of that year. I moved into a single-room apartment in a large mid-rise apartment block in Arlington, Virginia. I had arranged a job before I even moved down, and from October 1988 till about spring 1990 I worked as an architectural artist at a company which made architectural renderings (house portraits) for the real estate market. It was a full time job, sometimes more than full time, and it seriously cut into my other art production.

I did manage to make some pieces, most of which went to conventions or commissions. This was a small commission by a fan who liked my concepts of constellations. I would lay a glowing blue image of the constellation animal or symbol in airbrush, over a starry representation of the constellation star pattern. This is Cygnus, the swan, also known as the "Northern Cross," easily visible from northern latitudes for most of the year.

I spent only one year in that cramped studio apartment. In November 1989 I moved to the apartment complex where I still live. It's been more than twenty years since I did this picture in a new home.

"Cygnus" is acrylic on illustration board, 8" x 10", June 1989.

1 comment:

Tristan Alexander said...

This seems familiar, I may have seen it when it was new or a print maybe. Very nice though part of me thinks "wow that goose has landing lights". LOL