Monday, February 15, 2010

Tomato Basil Marinara, Formula One




An hour before I started this sign, I had no idea what I was going to do to advertise Trader Joe's marinara sauce. Then I got the idea of putting a sports car on the sign. Why a sports car? Because the sauce was originally Italian, and Italians make great race cars? But I didn't have time to draw a car. I was going to draw a straw-wrapped bottle of Chianti, but I didn't have either the bottle or enough time to draw it. Well...mid-century design! I can always draw something from the golden decade of design nostalgia 1954-1964! OK, ovals for the writing. They have checkered tablecloths in "traditional" Italian restaurants, right? I'll put one of those in. But I made it black and white checkers like an auto racing flag. That'll do it. Classic. The commercial artist's life.

Acrylic markers on black-painted Masonite, about 40" x 30", February 14, 2010.

No comments: