Friday, February 19, 2010

Skater Fashions




I was thrilled at the men's figure skating competition at the Olympics. I love watching anything where people put on costumes and move about boldly. Olympic athletes are like superheroes dressed in bright Spandex and doing amazing moves. (Except for the snowboarders, who are dressed like high school students.) Congratulations to Evan Lysacek for his awesome performance and gold medal! Note to male skaters: black costumes always look best.

I designed these costumes for skaters, for a skating fanzine run by some friends of mine. In those days (1988-90) Brian Boitano was the god of figure skating and I still think he was the best ever. These costumes would be show costumes rather than competition wear. The man's solo performance would be called "Winter Lightning," and the woman's would be called "Iceflame."

Ice show costumes, ink on Bristol board, each drawing about 3" x 5", September 1990.
Color added in Photoshop, 2010.

1 comment:

Tristan Alexander said...

These are nice and the mens skating is my favorite in the Olympics! I loved the Japanese skater with the red and black outfit! It looked great and he was good. Jonny Weyr (most likly spelled that wrong)always has amazing outfits and I love his skating!