Sunday, February 5, 2012

1800 Wedding



I was sometimes asked to paint wedding fantasy portraits for clients. Often, I depicted the clients wearing the historical or fantasy garb in which they were married. Sometimes, I was just asked to provide a theme. The bride's sister asked for an early 1800s look for the couple, and I did a little research to get at least a vaguely authentic set of wedding garb and interior decoration. I draped their joined hands with roses (not, as far as I know, a real tradition) and added a little dog to symbolize faithfulness.

The bride and groom, who were not fantasy or historical fans nor costumers, were mystified by their appearance as an 1800-era couple. It embarrassed me, but it probably embarrassed the family as well. At least I wasn't asked to portray them as pirates. I wonder where these people are now. Well, maybe I don't.

1800 - era wedding couple is ink and watercolor on Bainbridge illustration board, 9" x 11", May 1985.

No comments: