Friday, August 3, 2012

Mexican Menu Guacamole Dog


While I was working at Paco's Tacos, I had a dream about a guacamole dog. That is, a dog made out of guacamole. So I did a menu board featuring "Paco, the Guacamole Dog." Paco was already a pelican but I figured any fantasy critter could be Paco. This sign had a culturally disturbing sub-text (excuse my pretentious language) in that dogs were raised for their meat in Mexico. There is a breed called the "Mexican Hairless" which was specified as an edible dog. I didn't know what the dog looked like and besides he had to fit a menu on his figure, so this is what I drew. I don't know whether people eat dogs in Mexico nowadays, but since this one is made out of guacamole (avocado, onion, tomato, etc.) it's all right to eat it.

The usual dimensions and medium, winter 1980. Restored from a really bad photograph.

No comments: