Wednesday, March 4, 2015

New Jersey McDonald's


I was passing through New Jersey on my way north to the old home place, and I stayed in a motel. This McDonald's was next to the motel. I didn't eat there but I sat out on the balcony and did this on-site watercolor of the eatery. Note the children's play set with the big tubes. If it were not a brightly colored play set, but covered with black dust and rust, it could pass for a blast furnace. I want to do more pictures like this, classic urban sketching. But unlike the other sketchers who sit out on the street in winter while their watercolor water freezes, I will wait until late spring or summer to do on-site art. I don't mind the McDonald's, it adds welcome color to an otherwise dull landscape.

Watercolor in watercolor-paper sketchbook, 8" x 11", June 11, 1999.

No comments: