Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Comics Panels 1966


I am finding a lot of my old art in the archive. This runs from my childhood, through my teen years, to more recent pieces where I sent copies to my parents. The one you see above comes from about 1966. I can't make a more accurate date for it. There are elements from "Star Trek" (the pointed ears) which place it at least after the first Treks had aired (hence, 1966). Design elements also suggest a mid-century '60s look, with the geometric patterned garb and the spherical lights hanging from the ceiling, things you can also find in the DC Comics of that time, which I was well familiar with. The hairstyles of the characters are "British Invasion," again placing the art in the early to middle '60s.

This 4-panel set comes from a storyline I barely remember. In this set, the uniformed men (or Vulcans with their pointy ears) are waiting for one of their number named "Jeremy" but when he arrives, he turns on them violently with either superpowers or a weapon, which burns everyone up but Jeremy, who is glowing but otherwise unharmed.

This is where I have no memory. What I do remember is that these men are part of an elite space fighting force modeled after wolves, and "Jeremy Wolf" is their leader. Their pointy ears are not Vulcan, but lupine, and they wear a characteristic uniform with two diamonds on the chest. They also wear a wolf tooth as a pendant. Why Jeremy turned on his brothers so violently will always remain a mystery.

Ink on art paper, 7 1/2" x 7", 1966.

1 comment:

Texchanchan said...

That's pretty good for somebody so young.