Sunday, December 31, 2017

ManMouse, BoyMouse, and Derwend


What did I want to be when I grew  up? A comics artist, of course, duh! As soon as I could manage a pencil and colored pencils, I drew pictures of costumes and characters like this set. Of the many that I did, this one and its partner survive in the Archive. They are super-heroes along the lines of DC Comics, and you can see where I've borrowed costume elements. The tunic panels and belt at the waist is very characteristic of late '50s - early '60s comics costuming, as are the pointed headgear and knee-length boots. The yellow helmet on the right is borrowed from the venerable "Doctor Fate." And they have capes, because it's traditional, despite being impractical. The green and yellow character is "Derwend," and I have no memory of him. Note his split-toe hoof-like feet though. He is obviously not human, with bright green skin. "ManMouse" and his son "BoyMouse" have some sort of ultrasonic power ("Iki" and "Squiki"). Maybe they can shrink to mouse size or even smaller. This set dates from the early 1960s.

Pencil and colored pencils on sketchbook paper, about 7" x 6", early 1960s.

No comments: