Saturday, December 2, 2017

Sunny Corner 1974


In my younger days I was much influenced by early 20th century printed advertising. The ads for home care products were especially attractive to me. These images, originally painted in watercolor, portrayed the mundane kitchen as a place of lightness and enchantment, presided over by a spotless lady in a glowing apron. Imitating that style, I tried to portray my own dwelling in that way. The light-filled corner is softened by sheer curtains. The triangular corner desk, made by my father, bears objects I had brought with me from college: an empty aquarium, a duffel bag, and some of the plants I grew even in my small dorm room. After all these years I can't remember what the central plant with the pink flowers was. I think it was an impatiens.

Watercolor and pencil on sketchbook page, 5 1/2" x 9", July 9, 1974. Click on image for larger view.

1 comment:

Mike (Altus) said...

A lovely piece. This brings a feeling of nostalgia for a time before I was born. Perhaps better described as a longing for a simpler time, although I have no doubt that's just a construct within my mind. I'm sure the 1970s were just as complicated as today, just in different ways.