Monday, May 4, 2009

Costumecon Sketches




I'm back from CostumeCon in the Baltimore area, where I spent three days sketching and photographing fabulous costumes. There was everything from "neo-Inca" (see above upper left) to historical re-creations to elaborate and entertaining Steampunk fantasies. The lobby was often filled with a bevy of Ladies in enormous eighteenth-century court dresses, fanning themselves, gossiping and giggling as if they were in Versailles. Next to them might be a couple of anime cartoon babes come to life, and then walking down the hall towards the bar would be a wizard with a glowing crystal.
I wasn't there to show costumes of my own, so most of the time I was sitting in a place where the costumers passed by, drawing whoever stood still long enough. I renewed friendships with a number of old friends whom I've known for decades, and I might have the opportunity to design costumes for them. As always, click on the picture to see a larger view.

Now it's back to work on my own art for my next show, which I hope will be at Balticon later this month.

No comments: