Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Mexican Menu Daylight Girl


I'm back from a conference with my religious group and ready to post more Memorable Mexican Menus. This is one of a pair I created from a request to do allegorical figures of Day (Lunch Special) and Night (Dinner Special). This is Daylight Girl, inspired by the mystical fantasy tales of late 19th/early 20th century writer Marie Corelli. Corelli often used this character to symbolize light, beauty, and purity. She's a little angel girl with long blonde hair and a floating iridescent dress. She holds a bouquet of tiny white flowers and is surrounded by roses and lilies. The sun is behind her, as well as flights of angels in a cloudless blue sky. In the background are grassy hills sprinkled with colorful wildflowers. Esoteric Christian symbols surround the sacred scripture of the Lunch Special.

My co-workers HATED this picture. I used it a couple of times and they constantly made fun of it. They said the girl's expression was sickly and they hated the sentimentality of it. I finally had to withdraw it from the collection and I still have it somewhere in my archives.

"Daylight Girl" is markers on posterboard, 21" x 13", winter 1980. Click on Daylight to see a larger view.

1 comment:

Tristan Alexander said...

I don't hate it, but it is a bit overly sweet.