Sunday, July 29, 2012

Philip Carter's Earthly Paradise


My wine destination this Saturday was Philip Carter's winery near Hume, Virginia. I first visited this place in 2008, when I was just beginning to go to wineries. I had better weather this time. The grapes were ripening under a warm sun, and big billowy white clouds drifted across the sky. Four years after its opening, Carter's winery is producing nectary white wines and juicy reds. I sipped their lovely Viognier while drawing this color study of the vine landscape and the line drawings of things on and around the outdoor patio. A winery is an Earthly Paradise, a foretaste of Heaven, if there is such a thing. If there is no Heaven, at least we have wineries.

Colored pencils and Pitt brown ink technical pen on sketchbook page, 11" x 8", July 28, 2012. Some blue sky added at the top in Photoshop. Click on the pic for a larger view.

No comments: