Friday, March 7, 2014

Chandar and the Axe of Orm


I've been working for days on this thang, and I don't want to work on it any more. It's an attempt to do the heroic warrior portrait in all-digital format. This is Lin Carter's "Chandar" with the grandiose magical Axe of Orm, his kingdom's talisman. I will openly admit that my figure drawing and flesh modeling isn't great, but at least I'm trying. I should have depicted his lower legs, his left leg is actually lunging forward but you can't see that too well here. I also could have spent more time integrating the figure with the background, but I want to move on. This Chandar boy might look a little, uh, un-heroic, but the character is described as youthful and idealistic so he isn't (as yet) a brutal bad-ass like Conan, whom he was designed to physically resemble. Nevertheless Chandar gets his hacks in with that Axe, and gets the teen Queen for his bride. I want to do whole body character studies in digital painting for all of the fantasy cast of Iridar.   

Photoshop, 7" x 10", February-March 2014. Click on the pic to view larger.

1 comment:

Mike (Altus) said...

The detailing on that axe. O_O