Monday, March 17, 2014

Stylized Snow 1981


My illustrations and art and even sketches are full of detail and complexity. The clients and onlookers like it and I feel that I am giving them their money's worth if they see that a lot of work was done. But if it's just a sketchy panel in a notebook journal, I can do whatever I want, because no one will ever see it…until now. In early December of 1981 I was at my parents' house and there was a large snowstorm, which was unusual even for New England in December. (Most of the snow falls in January and February.) After the storm it was bright and clear with a brilliant blue sky, which inspired this abstract and simplified little scene. The tree branches are weighed down and the neighbor's house, in the background, is under a white blanket. I simplified everything in a line drawing with grey ink, then colored it in with watercolor with minimal texture. I'd never present this as a finished piece, but it's interesting as a concept.

Here in the DC area there has been yet another snowfall, just before spring, and so the winter without end continues. 

Grey ink and watercolor on sketchbook page, 8" x 3 1/2", December 6, 1981.

No comments: