Saturday, April 9, 2016

Cocoa Vienna Roofline


This is the roof of an old building in Vienna, Virginia which now houses a luxury chocolatier, "Cocoa Vienna," strategically located across the street from the artsy Cafe Amouri. This area provides plenty of ways for people to indulge their tastes. You can go elsewhere for your kale and quinoa vegan raw salad. Vienna, an affluent suburb of Washington, DC, still has a number of old buildings interspersed with the usual strip malls and commercial chains. 

I drew this sketch on a bench outside while waiting for my coffee companions. I would have drawn the lower part of the building with its nice porch windows and lanterns, but people kept parking their giant vehicles in front of it in the tiny parking lot. An interesting fact about this drawing is that I drew it while wearing gloves. I have a nice soft pair of yellow leather work gloves that are flexible enough to wear in the chill while drawing. I always wondered whether I could do that. It's still cold for outdoor art.

Black tech pen ink on sketchbook page, about 5" x 3 1/2", April 8, 2016.

No comments: