Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Not a Dumpster


One of the rules of my "Drawing of the Day" is: No dumpsters. I won't draw them, despite my claim that anything can be given an artistic treatment. I may have drawn one or two in the past but not now. They are unsightly, chaotic, and they attract pests. They are not picturesque enough to be part of an "ashcan school" drawing. So what do you see in my April 5 drawing? Is it a dumpster? It's full of heavy trash, renovation remains it looks like, and some blue plastic wrap. But it is not a dumpster. It is NEXT to a dumpster. Which I didn't depict. Whatever this was, I liked the wood textures and the fallen plastic column, which gives it a sort of "classical ruin" look. Also, as you see in the text, it is the first outdoor drawing of 2016. I did it standing by my car, balancing the sketchbook on the fender next to the hood. Car with opened door and natural sunlight counts as "outdoors." Above is a light fixture at Starbucks, an interior drawing I didn't get to finish due to people needing my space for a meeting.

Tech pen black ink on sketchbook page, 5" x 8", April 5, 2016.

No comments: