Sunday, October 30, 2016

Autumn Skies 2016

I did two sky sketches from memory, using two different media. The first one is in markers:



And the second one is done in my new "Irojiten" colored pencils:


The markers give a more saturated, watercolor-like quality to the image, but you can't make an even blend with them. The Irojiten pencils, which are Japanese although they are made in various Asian countries, make a smoother but lighter color treatment. Prismacolor colored pencils are skwushy almost like oil pastels, but these Irojitens have a harder formula for a thinner color coat. The Japanese designers have also clad the wood pencils in a shiny pale enamel that is very pleasant to the touch, and have named the colors poetic names like "Opal Green," "Forget-me-not Blue," and "Sea Fog." I got a limited set for my traveling and on-site art kit but I have just ordered the complete Irojiten set of 90 colors (called the "encyclopedia of colors") for studio use alongside my Prismas and other myriads of colored pencils.

Each picture about 5" x 3 1/2" on sketchbook page, October 29, 2016.

No comments: