Saturday, October 29, 2016

Ecumenicon 2006 program cover


I was Artist Guest of Honor at Ecumenicon 1989 and again in 2006. This conference, which started in the late 1980s, featured mostly esoteric and Pagan subjects and teachers, though I participated as a Christian with Zoroastrian connections. During the 1990s and 2000s the conference dedicated each year to a theme taken from the Tarot's major arcana. 2006 was the "Strength" card. This card usually features a maiden subduing a lion but the symbol I was given to illustrate was a man and a woman performing a solidarity ritual at dawn. I used an Art Deco style and an older Art Nouveau typeface. Searching for it online I have not seen a recent posting about Ecumenicon, the last one being 2014. This one had a longer run than  most.

Original is black ink on illustration board, 9" x 11", spring 2006.

No comments: