Thursday, March 11, 2010

Deryni Romance




By the 2000s I had stopped doing fan art due to time constraints and also my desire not to do fan art any more. But I still reserved time and efforts for a fan magazine run by my friends who follow Katherine Kurtz' Deryni series, characters, and world. The Deryni are a magical race of humans who live in medieval times on an alternate earth. Just as if they lived in our own medieval history, they are persecuted as witches and heretics and sometimes burned at the stake. But they also have time for knightly swashbuckling and sweet romances, such as this one. I illustrated a story in which a Deryni princess who was born deaf finds love with a man who magically (telepathically) shares his sense of hearing with her.

"Sheltering Branches" original illustration is ink on illustration board, 8 1/2" x 11", August 2002.

1 comment:

Tristan Alexander said...

You should have posted this one for Valentine's Day, it's so "romantic". I love your black and white pen work, very crips and nice.