Saturday, March 27, 2010

Lebbeus Tower




I have been a fan of architect and artist Lebbeus Woods for many years. His fantastic drawings occupy a space which is both science fiction and Serious Art, a place I devoutly wish to occupy, (while doing gross, vulgar fantasy art for fun). You can't build these things, unless you are building a model or a stage set, but they are memorable and influential on many other architects. Woods himself is a wild eccentric with a perverse imagination, who has traveled the world getting and giving dark inspiration. This is one person I would really like to meet, but he would despise me as a trivial suck-up.

Inspired by Lebbeus Woods' designs, I created this image of a tower on the Moon, in the harsh light of airless space. It could be an exploration rocket which has been turned into an inhabited colony, or it could be a weapons station for lunar warfare. Tracks from lunar rovers have pressed a road into the dusty surface, where the occupants come and go.

"Lebbeus Tower" is acrylic on illustration board, 7" x 10", September 1990.

1 comment:

Tristan Alexander said...

Could have swore I commented on this...anyway. It looks very forboading, not very homey! I guess with the lovely veiw of Earth it is not as bad as it could be. Odd tower that does look like they must have canabalized several ships to make.