Friday, March 12, 2010

Pseudo-Irish





We now have a new chalkboard at Mena's bagel and sandwich shop. The first design I did on it was for the annoying St. Patrick's day marketing blitz. I did this pseudo-Celtic treatment of the usual breakfast and lunch specials. I took note of the fact that Mena's recipe for the sandwich she calls "Irish" actually gives homage to four different countries: "Irish" corned beef, "German" sauerkraut, Swiss Cheese, and "Russian" dressing. The Celtic decorations aren't really Celtic, nor does their tracery actually "trace," if you look closely. I love "authenticity," but I won't find it anywhere in urban America, unless it's imported, in which case it is authenticity in exile.

Acrylic "chalk" markers on black-painted Masonite board, about 30" x 20".

No comments: