Thursday, March 25, 2010

Two Dimensional Space Warp




In late 1990 I was feeling avant-garde. I had an avant-garde moment where I painted a whole series of unusual stuff over the usual airbrush nebula and star backgrounds. This was one of them. I chose shapes made out of curves, mostly triangular shapes, and painted them on top of a standard space "blank" which I made in batches. I had no intent of telling a story or making the shapes mean anything, it was just one of those abstract things. In order to get it into a science fiction convention art show (Philcon 1990), I had to make up a title that would fit, so I called this "Two-Dimensional Space Warp."

Nowadays I could toss this off in Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator in an hour or two. I am not selling anything these days, so if I must make art I might as well do it in pixels which take up no space whatsoever in my cluttered studio. But Balticon is coming up so I may have to actually paint some of these in real paint so that someone might buy it.

I'm not feeling very good about my art these days. I'm faced with the choice of making formulaic space abstractions, soporific country scenes, or kitschy fantasy art. I have limited time to make art so I have to be careful about my choices 'cause I don't want to waste time on something. So I waste time looking at other people's fabulous digital extravaganzas on DeviantART instead.

"Two-Dimensional Space Warp" is acrylic on illustration board, 10" x 7", September 1990.

1 comment:

Tristan Alexander said...

For some reason this realy apeals to me. I think it is because you got a real 3D effect and even if they don't mean anything, they look realy COOL!

As for not being happy with your art now days, STOP IT!! You area GREAT artist and looking at the cheating, esy to get great efffects digital crap pumped out in minutes and comparing it to pain staking hand done work is NOT fair!
Have you considered mixing your country scenes and space art?? That could be different and interesting!