Wednesday, March 10, 2010

March Skies




This looks like a watercolor, but it was done in brush tip markers. It's from my illustrated journal from 2005, about 5" x 3". I usually keep an illustrated journal each year, but this year has no pictures. I do my sketching in another book which is all pictures. I would like to do more studies like this but it just seems that with day job and other art work I don't have the time to sit and do them. This also looks like I did it outdoors on site but really it was done from memory in the studio. So it's not "true" on-site sketching which is the main criterion for "real" sketching. It has been too cold and snowy over the last months for me to sit outside and draw things, but other hard-working sketchers are tougher than I am and they sit outside and draw or paint on site no matter what the weather is.

My sketching hero is Gerard Michel, an architect and artist from Liege, Belgium. I want to draw like him. All his work is done on site, even though middle Europe's weather is almost always cold and rainy. He is a professor of architectural drawing in Liege so this is all related to his day job. Faced with the example of his productivity, I can only say that the reason this blog is deficient in on-site sketches is my own laziness. But let's see what happens when the weather gets warmer and the days get longer. Which is bound to happen...sometime soon.

1 comment:

Tristan Alexander said...

I like this, I am amazed it was doen with marker and from memory! If I tried that it would look terrible!
Also the guy you want to be like...his stuff is very nice but I think yours is just as good :)